Monday, January 18, 2010


Since my Etsy store is officially open for business I decided it was time to do some branding.  I wanted to make tags to put on all of my pieces, so I headed to the craft store for some materials.  My goal was a handmade eco-friendly look using earth tones.  After searching for a while, I finally found some cream colored cardstock that has the recycled look I had in mind.  I also bought some letter stamps and "lettuce" green and "espresso" brown ink pads.  To finish the tags I found a tiny bird shaped hole punch to place a piece of hemp twine into.

I spent some time experimenting with different tag layouts and sizes and found a look that I'm happy with.  If you'd like to see the tags on my pieces, visit the danae crochets store on Etsy.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Setting Up Shop

This weekend ended up being super productive for me.  For one, I got my new Etsy shop set up and open for business.  It only has two items (January's project) in it for now, but that will change soon enough.  Take a peek at the danae crochets shop here:

Saturday morning was spent browsing IKEA in search of some new bed linens.  Not only did I get a whole new duvet & sheet set on sale, I also stumbled upon color inspiration for an upcoming crochet project.  As I was walking past the kitchen section, I spotted a display of ceramic mugs out of the corner of my eye.  I had to stop and take a picture of the color arrangement because I thought it would make a great scarf pattern.  The colors included white, black, a mossy green and a deep purple.  I have to decide exactly what I'm going to make out of this color pattern, but when I do I'll be sure to post it. 

I also had a lot of time to work on an afghan that was started over a year ago.  I finished weaving in the last of the ends last night around 10.  It felt great to have completed an entire afghan (my largest project yet) especially since it's been laying around for so long.  When I figure out the best way to take a picture of it I will post the finished piece.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

February Project

My January project is complete, so it's time to pick out February's project.  I wanted to try something that I've never made before, so I was looking for an infinity scarf/cowl.  The Cardiff Cowl on the Lion Brand website was exactly what I was looking for.

With my pattern all picked out I was on a quest for some yarn today.  I've passed by a craft shop called The Black Sheep several times and have always wanted to take a peek inside, and today I finally stopped in during my lunch break.  The quaint shop near downtown Orlando has a nice stock of high quality yarns that you can't find at the bigger craft stores.  I picked out three different colors from a brand called Berroco.  I'm super excited about starting the cowl.

I've got some time before I can start on my February project so in the meantime I'll continue to work on one of my unfinished afghans.  I'm also hoping to get my Etsy shop set up sometime this weekend.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Completed January Project

Here is a look at the completed set.  The scarf measures 73" long by 2 3/4" wide.  The opening of the beret is about 17 1/4".  Next on the to-do list is to open up a shop on Etsy and search for my February project.

Finished Beret

My January project is complete.  I finished the beret last night.  I ended up adding 10 additional rows in the middle of the hat to make it fit.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Beret

Looks like I'm definitely going to have to add some more rows to make this fit. According to the pattern, I only have about 10 more rows to go. By the looks of it, I'm going to have to add at least double that.

On another note, I finally found a home for all the yarn that was stashed in the back of my closets. I got a large plastic storage box on sale at Target last weekend and actually organized all of my yarn, hooks and other crochet stuff. Now I just need to find a home for the box.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

First Look: Beret

I sat down to start the beret and ended up finishing about 1/3 of it (according to the pattern). It looks like I'm going to have to add a few rows in the middle to make it big enough. I started with the plum yarn and am planning to add the grey as edging at the bottom.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Finished Scarf

The first part of my first project is complete. I was able to get the scarf done a lot faster than I thought. Here’s the finished piece.

Monday, January 4, 2010

First Look: Scarf

I decided to start this two part project with the scarf. I am planning on using the grey for the body of the scarf and the plum for the edging. Here’s a look at the beginning stages of the scarf.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

January Project Materials

Plum Heather
Dark Grey Mix

Scarf: Susan Bates US K10.5/6.5 mm
Hat: Susan Bates US 7/4.5 mm